My 6 year old six grader
(San Diego, CA, USA)
My 6 year old is in the first grade and we are concerned with the following:
1. flaps his hands when he is excited
2. fixation on things such as things that spin, bouncing balls, bouncing lights etc.
3. He dislikes buttons
4. Does not like taking showers
5. He is very slow when getting into and out of the car.
6. Will spend a lot of time washing his hands.
8 dislikes touching sticky things (syrup)
9. First grade teacher is concerned since he cannot retell a story, has difficult time writing in his journal, not focused. She told us that she has a difficult time processing information. He does not play with the same students, sometimes he plays by himself and is always the last one to put everything away before recess.
10. At home he does not like to do his homework. However, he does his work and has completed every assignment. He has known all of his sigh words and likes math, but teacher does not see this in her class.
11. He does make eye contact when talking to us and people.
12. When on vacation, he walks up to kids, his age, and begins to talk and play with them.
13. He does have conversations with his sibling, cousins, kids he just met, with us, but his teacher does not see this in her class or at recess.
14.He understand facial expressions, he understands sarcasm and feels sad when he sees someone in pain.
15. He likes to catch (football, ball)
16. gets frustrated when riding a bike
17. speaks fluently
18. He was a very easy baby.
19 Does not throw tantrums
20. Dislikes changes in routine
21. Likes to play fight w/siblings and friends
22. He always puts toys under pillow.
23. He is not bothered by crowds.
Please respond and let me know what you think my child has. We have scheduled an evaluation with the school, the regional center and a doctor that specializes in learning disorders. Last year the doctor dismissed Aspergers. We were told that he would outgrow hand flapping. He is doing it less, but still concerned about what his first grade teacher stated and his fixation on things.