2 1/2 year-old with SPD???
I am very concerned about my best friends 2 1/2 year-old son. After researching some of his behaviors online I am becoming convinced he might have SPD. I have tried to talk to her and although she acknowledges he has some "odd" behaviors, she thinks he will outgrow them and is really only worried about his speech delay.
I know how important early intervention is so if I am right I just want to see him get the help he needs as soon as possible. I guess I am interested in hearing if someone thinks I am on the right track. This will help me know if I should just drop it or to continue gently pushing her to get more help for her son. I love them both dearly and just don't want my pushing to cost me our friendship.
Some of his behaviors that concern me:
- Late crawling, walking
- delay in speech (currently getting speech therapy)
- very clumsy
- smells all food (and other items) prior to eating
- picky eater
- shoves food in his mouth until it is overly full
- arm flapping
- rocking, especially while on the couch watching TV
- walks and runs on his tip toes
- runs stiffly, awkwardly
- excessive throwing objects and pushing things over (has broken their TV, lamps, CD player and more)
- likes to eat food with strong flavors i.e. raw onion, garlic and also likes to eat lotion and liquid hand sanitizer soap (which I know is very dangerous)
- loves to swing (for long periods)
- loves to be rubbed
- prefers to be naked and is picky about his clothes (becomes very attached to specific t-shirts)
I also should add that he responds to his name and can follow simple instructions, which is why I don't think it's been an obvious diagnosis. I also think my friend is in denial and not sharing her concerns about the above mentioned behaviors with her pediatrician. I am not in her shoes and don't know what I would do if I were in her shoes. I spend so much time with her and her son and it just breaks my heart because I feel like there is help out there for him but then I try and remember that maybe it's just none of my business. Interested in others thoughts...