Adults with SPD

by debbie h.

My daughter was diagnosed at an early age with a cerebellum that is 1/4 smaller than it should be. She did a lot of therapy for fine and gross motor skills. Surgery for a lazy eye. She is now 28 and is suffering with emotional outburst, low self esteem, looks for physical gratification, can't communicate well with peers, and a host of other problems.

After reading through her old paperwork I found a booklet called "a parents guide to sensory integration". I was not told that she had this but reading it now really makes me wonder if this what she suffers with. I was wondering if anyone knows, when a child reaches adulthood with this disorder being untreated for years, is there any information, help or suggestions you could give me.

I really want to help her! This disorder makes it impossible to have a relationship and she senses that something is wrong. She has bad mood swings. Unable to control her temper. Reading is difficult, she said the lines move together. Depth perception is off. Stiff body movements and gait. Hand tremors. Cant catch a ball, whistle, jump rope, or mimic movements. Conversations with her always seem to start in the middle of a thought. She grips things and people tightly, speech is slightly off, hand writing is comparable to a 6 yr. old.

New situations really throw her off!. She went to a Dr. and he wants to medicate her for possible bipolar. I don't think that is the answer. If anyone can give me suggestions, help, reading material or a web site.... please do so. thank you, concerned mom

Comments for Adults with SPD

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Mar 28, 2009
by: debbie

I just wanted to thank all of you for your advise. I will get these books and check the web sites that were recommended.... I will try to get her to read these an adult (still immature for age) maybe these will inspire her to take the steps it will require for her to understand and deal with the facts.... sometimes just knowing your not alone is the biggest comfort. thanks again.

Feb 25, 2009
by: Anonymous

I would have her make an appt. with an Occupational Therapist who deals with SPD. I have heard this is helpful even for adults. Good luck!

Feb 25, 2009
A few suggestions for you
by: Daniel Travis

Hi Debbie,

As an adult sufferer of SPD I can relate to quite a bit of what your daughter goes through. Thank you so much for advocating for her, even as she has moved on into adulthood. Here are a few things I can suggest for you:

1. Visit: That's my website, just built recently, to be the first online resource center for adults with SPD.

2. Read: "Too Loud Too Bright Too Fast Too Tight" by Sharon Heller, Ph.D. (the only book about SPD in adults), and a couple of other books about SPD in children (because they give a good explanation of what SPD is all about) - read "The Out-of-Sync Child" by Carol Kranowitz M.A., and "Sensational Kids" by Dr. Lucy Miller Ph.D. OTR.

3. Look into: Proprioceptive, Visual, and Vestibular Dysfunction, because it looks like a lot of your daughter's issues come from those 3 in particular. Also look into 'sensory diets', that is the best way to work on treating SPD before and after finding a good OT. (Of course, you should also try to get her an appointment with an OT, as they are the ones who diagnose and treat SPD in the first place)

4. Join: Groups at Yahoo!. There are some really good support groups that offer a great number of resources and support. Here are some of the one's I would recommend:


SID-DSI AllAboutKids

SPD Life

I know those links won't work as links, but you can copy and paste them into your URL bar at the top of the screen. Or you can search for them by name on Google or on Yahoo groups.

I hope this helps you out Debbie.
Take good care, and let us know how things go.
-Dan Travis
SPD Parent SHARE Host from Ypsilanti, MI
Founder SPD Life (

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Adult SPD .