Grants for Therapy?

by Eve
(Detroit, MI)

Fiesty Fireman

Fiesty Fireman

Our son has difficulties with sensory integration and is really responding well to therapy (amazing, really!), but the cost is so exorbitant and unlikely to be covered by our medical plan.... Additionally, my husband has recently lost his job and our financial struggles make the therapy completely out of our league, as it costs about $100/session where we live. To whom can we turn for help? Are there foundations out there who are able and willing to help alleviate some of the costs of this invaluable occupational therapy?

The SPD Help Line Answers...

Hi Eve,

There are several articles I have that will help you find the answers to your questions. They are as follows:

Financial Help For Sensory Products (or Therapy)

Diagnostic Codes For SPD Therapy (To help you get coverage for sensory integrative OT services... ask your OT to use any of these codes, if appropriate)

Sensory Integrative OT...What You Need To Know Before Starting (There is one particular section to pay attention to in that newsletter... "What To Do About Insurance And Costs Of Evaluation And Treatment")

See if you find the answers you are looking for in all of these. The ONE place I HAVE heard of for possible free therapy in your home may indeed be The Elks. I know several people who have received the therapies they need at no cost to them through them. I hope they are available to YOU! If you need further help let us know. You will surely have to make the phone calls that go with this information. I think there may be something out there for you. Let us know if you do indeed succeed... others will benefit from your feedback.

Take good care.
Michele Mitchell

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to The SPD Q & A.