by Sabrina
(Fort Worth)

I would like for my son to have an IEP developed, but he doesn't show academic need. Is SPD covered anywhere else?

Comments for IEP

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Aug 29, 2008
Thanks Craig!
by: Jessi

My son is 4 and not in school yet, however we've gone through testing to get him qualified for speech therapy through the school system. I've also been frustrated, because they almost didn't qualify him because his problems weren't considered 'academic'. Give me a break! When every sound, sight or smell distracts you from what you're doing, how could that NOT affect your ability to learn! He did manage to qualify for speech - the reason they hesitated is because by the time they got us in for testing, I'd had him in private speech therapy for 2-3 months and he'd improved. Those people made me shake they were so irritating! It was like talking to a wall telling them the only reason they could understand ANYTHING he was saying (at 3 1/2) was because he'd gotten THERAPY, which was why I was there in the first place!!!

I've assumed that I would run into the same thing when I raise my concerns when he goes into Kindergarten (I'm actually considering holding him back a year if he doesn't seem ready yet). Thanks for the great info on how to get some help.

Aug 28, 2008
Look Into a 504 Plan
by: Craig

Hi Sabrina,

You may want to see if they can do a 504 Accommodation Plan for your son. While not the same level as an IEP, a carefully crafted 504 Plan can assist your son by allowing for certain class-room accommodations that will help him fully participate in school. It can be a daunting task to get the school to meet you half-way, especially if they are not familiar with SPD. So, I suggest that you are well-prepared in understanding the areas of concern that you have for your child and relating them to the school.

For example, my daughter has difficulty connecting with her classmates. One of the accommodations that is being offered involves her participation in friendship groups that are guided by the school counselor. Another area that she has problems with involves being easily distracted during test-taking. An accommodation has been setup for her to provide a privacy area to use when taking tests.

She also has problems with bladder control and frequent urinary tract infections, so the school has provided an accommodation in allowing her bathroom breaks as needed. It's taken quite a bit of effort in getting a good plan in place that the school agrees with, but the effort has paid off and my daughter is doing much better in school as a result. Best wishes to you and your son! Craig

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to The SPD Q & A.