The Problem Down Below! Wetness and Discomfort make me insane! Plus This is what I do to cope with Adult SPD
by The Black Sheep
I am a 20 yr old female. I was diagnosed with ADHD in 3rd grade I want to say? I have been on medication ever since. I looooovveee my Concerta (The prescription I take). I had issues when I was younger, they eventually went away, then THEY CAME BACK! My family thinks I am "just a sensitive girl" "OCD" "hypochondriac" w/e... I knew it was more than that and I finally got fed up and found this amazing site!
I self-diagnosed myself with Tactile Defensiveness SPD. I have not yet been able to try therapy for lack of funds, but I do what I can to cope. Here's what I have figured out so far and a little info of what I have issues with:
- I had bought as many of the same thing as I could. Spent an entire year in long-sleeve sweaters, jeans, and flip-flops.
- TANK-TOPS are a Life-saver, to this day I cannot go without one. When I was little and the puberty changes started, the tank tops with the cup-less bras helped a lot.
- JACKETS! I wear them year round. I would describe them as a comfort blanket. Still use daily in adulthood.
- PADS! I bought WINGLESS! And bought underwear a size too small to make it comfortable. Also had some success with panty liners.
- I could not use tampons until after sexually active.
- As it was going away I used Victoria's Secret Boy Short Lace underwear (Not full lace, just lace around the waistband and leg holes)
- I have had my fair share of panic attacks and crying spells because I was uncomfortable, however once I discovered SPD and started self treating they haven't been as bad.
- The development of BREASTS! I love it and hate it!! I finally solved the problem however. I have found Ambrielle to be the only brand I can wear in a bra (Find that perfect bra and stick with it!) Has to be a push up and the more coverage the better! Plunge is a NO-NO for me!
- THE COMPRESSION SPORTS BRA When it came back this solved all my above waist issues (along with the tank top under everything) Nike is what I use. COMPRESSION is key! I wear it over my bra... I know it seems ridiculous, but honestly as long as I
am comfortable I could care less.
- I can't figure out the UNDERWEAR THING! I do know that I went to Victoria's secret and bought shape-wear for just that area, it helped, but the WETNESS issue continues. It is the LAST thing I need to fix to be comfortable in everything!
- I do use a lot of toilet paper, and I am sadly more comfortable during my period because of tampons, but the other three weeks are hell.
- I am never on time... It takes me an hour and thirty to get ready in the morning. I HAVE TO TAKE MORNING SHOWERS and I am practically OCD about hygiene.
- SUMMERTIME I wear Nike Track Tempo shorts and Hanes cotton Briefs Comfort waistband and I feel amazing.
- I love LEG-WARMERS during winter, it takes away the weird feeling of your jeans against your leg and boots...
- LOTION ON THE FEET and THICK ANKLE SOCKS! Philosophy is my favorite lotion on my feet because it lasts long enough for me to forget about socks
- Tighter shoes... more foot forming like New Balance Track-like shoes (The only tennis shoes I wore in High School)
- Panty liners are good for the wetness... but are also uncomfortable beginning to be uncomfortable... I AM LOST ON THIS. I plan on trying the gluten free diet and finding some cotton underwear that doesn't give me underwear lines. My problem is ANY* discharge regardless of it being normal, drives me insane!
- I sleep naked no matter what!
- Commando doesn't work for me
- On the days when I just don't feel like dealing with it, I wear my Nike shorts over thick sweat pants with the Hanes underwear. I am in college and work at a cleaners so I have the luxury of wearing this often.
- I still, to this day, prefer to be naked at home.
Apparently some ADHD medications (including mine unfortunately) can exacerbate Anxiety symptoms. That may be why my SPD came back, and I also pick at my eyelashes and eyebrows! Especially when I am stressed out with school. I don't know what to do about this just yet, I have to stop myself repeatedly. It usually happens during Final Exam time in school and goes away right after.
IF SOMEBODY HAS ANY ADVICE ON THE WETNESS I'D LOVE TO HEAR IT