(St. Louis, MO)
I have a 20 month old son who has always "over-reacted" to things. Recently however, bath time has become a nightmare! He used to love taking baths, but he has in the last month or so hated it. We used to say time for bath and he would run to the bathroom, but not just the mention of a bath starts the process. He will become extremely anxious and freak out. It has bothered me because it isn't like his usual "fit" because he doesn't want to do something, it is shear terror. When he was younger we would take him in the shower with us, but around 1 year of age he started having major anxiety issues if we took him in the shower with us (that was probably the first time I noticed anything weird)
So then today at daycare, the teacher told me that he did the same thing when they were painting with feet. Freaked out with just his shoes being taken off. Once he realized they were not going to make him do it he calmed down some, but was extremely worried about his classmates and started taking them their shoes and socks.
Other things that go along with PSD that he has issues with are:
*As infant did not like to be cuddled or held (I can count on one hand how many times I personally rocked him to sleep as an infant)
*Distressed when diaper is being changed or clothes are being removed
* Does not like being extremely close to people (he does not "freak out" he just moves away quickly)
* Does not like having hair brushed
* Extreme anxiety to messy play - paint, whipped cream
* does not like having dirty hands - any time he gets a piece of dog hair on his hand he runs to one of us and goes ew, ew, ew until we take it off him
* Excessively ticklish
* Overly Distressed about having nails cut - to the point where both my husband and I have to hold him down to get it done.
* very picky eat with strong gag reflex
So I guess what is throwing me off is that he loves shoes and socks. Freaks anytime we take them off. Could this be because he likes the "secure" feeling of the tightness of the shoes and doesn't like the "random" feelings of things touching his feet when he is barefoot?
I guess I am just having a hard time deciding if I am paranoid or if I should be concerned. I feel like a lot of the things on the list could just be that he is 20 months old. But I want to get him the help he needs if he in fact needs it. Any input on anything would be great!