How To Find An Occupational Therapist Who Specializes In Sensory Processing Disorder / Sensory Integration Dysfunction

It is not easy to find an occupational therapist who who specializes in SPD. It can be a frustrating and daunting task for some, depending on where you live or what you are looking for, specifically.

Keep in mind, you are going to want to ask for a SIPT certified (pronounced "sipped") Occupational Therapist if at all possible. They have been additionally trained to diagnose (and usually to treat as well) kids with SPD. If they are too far away, you can go to them for the initial evaluation, then find treatment closer to home. A proper diagnosis is critical. You may also want to ask if they accept your insurance; but be prepared, not many do (yet!).

Generally, a "SIPT certified" therapist is best. But, keep in mind many Occupational Therapist's have worked with, and are quite knowledgeable about (even specialize in) how to diagnose and treat kids with SPD even though they are not "certified", and can be just as wonderful as a SIPT certified OT. (For example, they may have learned from a SIPT certified OT but never had the time or money to pay for getting "certified" themselves).

Just remember, it is up to you to find an Occupational Therapist that is the best fit for you, your child, and your family! Don't be shy about asking as many questions as possible to ensure the proper "fit".

The BEST way to find an Occupational Therapist who is SIPT Certified is through's database! They offer... "The only Sensory Integration Course approved by Dr. A. Jean Ayres and the Ayres/Baker Trust. This set of 4 sensory integration workshops is the only SI certification program endorsed by the publishers of the Sensory Integration and Praxis Tests (SIPT)." And, on their website they keep a HUGE database of therapists (with names, addresses, and phone numbers) who took the course and are SIPT certified.

Just click on the link below and it will bring you to the page with drop down menus to choose country or state. It is both a National AND International database!!

SIPT Certified OT Finder Through Western Psychological Services

Additional information for finding local OT's and the questions to ask can be found within the finding OT Services article.

If you do not find the resources you need there, below you will find a link to a list of all Occupational Therapy Associations for every US state. Once you click on YOUR state, look through their website, find sections that may have a therapist database, and/or simply make a phone call or email them via their contact
information and ask for what you need.

Here's A State-By-State Listing Of The Occupational Therapy Associations!

So, use some or all of the information I have given you and you should
find the resources you need.


 Before you find an Occupational Therapist, Make Sure To Read Sensory Integrative OT...What You Need To Know Before Starting , which takes you through... how to find the BEST one, what it means to be SIPT Certified or a certified SI Therapist, what to expect during the evaluation and treatment sessions, how to set it up, what to do about insurance reimbursement, and what you will need to do to be ready for Sensory Integrative Occupational Therapy.

Related Resources

Visit The Sensory Processing Disorder Store  - Your One Stop Shop For All Your SPD Needs

Return From Find An Occupational Therapist To The Occupational Therapy Resources

Return To The Sensory Processing Disorder / Sensory Integration Home Page

footer for Sensory Processing Disorder page

Copyright ©

Contact Us / Site Map / Disclaimer Privacy Policy